American Mathematics Contest 10/12 (AMC 10/12) is the 2nd stage of Math Olympiad Contest in the US after AMC 8. The contest is in multiple choice format and aims to develop problem solving abilities. The difficulty of the problems dynamically varies and are based on important mathematical principles. These contests have a lasting educational value.
Eligibility for AMC 10/12:
Students in grade 10 or below and under 17.5 years of age on the day of the contest can take the AMC 10. Students in grade 12 or below and under 19.5 years of age on the day of the contest can take the AMC 12.
AMC 10/12 Exam Syllabus:
The syllabus for AMC 10 include:
- Elementary Algebra
- Basic Geometry Knowledge like Pythagorean Theorem, area and volume formulas
- Elementary Number Theory
- Elementary Probability
The syllabus for AMC 10 excludes:
- Advanced Algebra
- Advanced Geometry
The syllabus of AMC 12 includes high school mathematics curriculum and including all the topics mentioned above. Only calculus is excluded in the advanced topics.
AMC 10 and AMC 12 Test Format:
As mentioned earlier, the format of the tests are multiple choice type. It is a 75 minute test with 25 questions. The exams are held on two dates under the names AMC 10A and 10B for AMC 10 and AMC 12A and 12B for AMC 12.
Upcoming AMC 10 and AMC dates:
For AMC 10/12A:
Early bird Registration: through Dec. 2, 2020
Regular Registration: Dec. 3 – 19, 2020
Late Registration: Dec. 20, 2020 – Jan. 9, 2021
Exam Days: Thursday, February 4, 2021
For AMC 10/12B:
Early bird Registration: through Dec. 8, 2020
Regular Registration: Dec. 9 – Jan 9, 2020
Late Registration: Jan. 10, 2020 – 13, 2021
Exam Days: Wednesday, February 10, 2021
Books for Preparation:
Cheenta believes “It is important to completely solve at least one book per topic before going into the harder ones. You do not need to solve hard books for all topics.”
So, we prefer, one should keep “Challenges and Thrills of Pre College Mathematics” as a Common Minimum Requirement for your preparation.
How to Prepare for AMC 10 or AMC 12?
- Utilize the resources: Here are the resources required to help you perform better in AMC 10 or AMC 12 Preparation:
- Solve Past Papers and similar questions from similar contests like SMO (Singapore), UKMT (Junior, Senior), University of Waterloo BMC, Math Kangaroo which may serve as practice problems for AMC 10/12.
- Take tests and Track your Tests: Tests are essential for knowing your weaknesses and strengths. Attempting quizzes and mock tests helps the students to evaluate themselves.
- Get a coach: A coach can see and analyze your performance and guide you in the best way possible. He/She can help you strengthen your weaknesses by letting you work in the right direction.